Scilly Sailships is not so much a real life enhancement, but a fictional demo scenery for my sailship asset pack (however the scenery includes additional sailships). That said, did you know that every four years the Islands of Scilly hoist a Sailship Festival? For a full ten days vintage and replica sailships of passed times gather a the island and compete for several highly valued prizes. Many of them offering short or longer joyrides for the public. For the length of the festival all private ships and boats are banned from St. Mary. Even the Scillonian ferry sails on a special schedule that reduces her anchor time in the port to the shortest possible. By special agreement between MS/Asobo and the port authorities Exclusion Rectangles (aka Bermuda Triangles) suck every boat left in forbidden areas from the water's surface. Luckily, St.Mary's EGHE airport is right at the centre of the activities and open all the time. So is the heliport of Tresco.
I was lucky to freeze a snapshot of this year's festivities.
List of what you see
- many kind of single sailships
- several kind of formations, from two to four ships
- a pirate ship chasing a trade ship among the Eastern Isles (and hopefully never catching it)
- another pirate ship is offering a short joyride in the port of Hugh Town on St.Mary
- shuttle formations from Scilly Islands to Land's End and back
- anchored ships with furled sails at several bays and coves, featuring
- rowboat shuttles between anchored ships and beach/coast
- on the pier leg with the ticket booth a queue of people, mostly families, static and animated, are waiting to board the Pirate Ship for their harbour joy ride
To your gracious notice
- for nice wakes turn mean ground level wind up to at least 4 knots
- expect some cheesy behaviour of ship formations in turns
- expect visible LOD swaps, especially of the high poly ship models. If your system allows you may improve LOD behaviour by cranking up Object Level Of Detail
- don't expect any real life interaction of the ships with wind
- top flags are subject to their own jet stream that always flows to the rear of the ship
- If you use RealVFR's scenery in v1.5 my exclusion rectangles will not work per default. You have to go into the experimental Package Reorder Tool and set the sailship addon below the RealVFR package (= equal or higher priority number). v1.4 is fine.
- Last not least: while developers may freely use all ships in the sailship asset pack, to use the other ships - namely the Brig in all liveries and the rowboat - in your own project you must first acquire your own game use license for the respective model.
Many sincere thanks to Superspud and Federico Pinotti ─ without their ongoing help (and Mamu's Toolbox!) this project would never have seen the light of the day! Moreover, while I always liked the South England coast very much as low-level flying ground, if it was not for Superspud's excellent Scilly addons I had never made it beyond Land's End. Therefore I feel bad that nowadays ─ and exclusively because of the pier and the many custom made buildings in Hugh Town ─ I mostly load the RealVFR scenery. For this reason exclusion rectangles, the ships in Hugh Town port and the people on the pier work best with their addon. However, most of the humans work reasonably well with Superspud's EGHE scenery. The ships outside the port are not affected by your choice of addon.
Sailship asset pack
- Dave's 3D People Library
- Animated Human 3D Models Library
(currently people assets are restricted to the short leg of the Hugh Town pier, but I may add more)
- EGHE - St Mary's Airport & Isles of Scilly Scenery UK - Upgrade and EGHT - Tresco - Isles of Scilly by Superspud together with Isles of Scilly Shorelines by mgk07 OR
- The Isles Of Scilly by realvfr.com (payware)
- at least one of the bird addons; either EU Seagulls by Taburet or FSbirds British Isles by South Oak. I load them both. Birds are such an ubiquitous part of shorelines that these addons really enhance your low level flying experience. And no bloodshed. Promised!
- On the pier I use a few props from Oceania WU and the Microsoft KBID and WAHQ airports.
Now enjoy! Feedback welcomed!