TERRANCE B. LETTSOME INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT UPDATED SCENERY PROJECT
[WORK IN PROGRESS]
This is a custom scenery update to the small airport on the island known as Beef Island, which is located East of the larger main Island: Tortola, located in the British Virgin isands (North-East of St.Thomas [US Virgin Islands], South-West of Virgin Gorda.
Tortola is the largest and most populated of the British Virgin Islands, a group of islands that form part of the archipelago of the Virgin Islands. The approach to the airport runway on 07 was and still is a tricky one due to the main island's hilly terrain close to Runway. In the past, the runway was much shorter, which made it even more challenging when lining up to land larger aircrafts like the Dash-8 or ATR-72 turbo props. Now it has an extended runway which made it a bit easier for also private small jets to land. There have been talks also to extend it even further sometime in the future. Despite having runway lights, It is advised not to land at night nor take off at Runway 25, due to the terrain close to Runway 07 and also the small hill near Runway 25.
This airport, despite being small, was challenging because of the details within and also the surrounding the area. A couple of parking lots including the main one which is the largest IRL is beautifully designed judging from pics and videos i've seen off the internet. I will up date it in time until completed. The airport is also near a beach with many MANY boats IRL.
Warning: Possible framerate drop for lower-end PC users due to the amount of boats, ships and yachts of different sizes I scattered around the area. If this affects any of you, let me know and i'll try to make some adjustments.
Open and extract ''lexpro-Tortola_Beef Island_updated_scenery_project_v1.0'' (or the version name you choose to download) to your prefered location on your PC, then unZip and open the folder and copy "Terrance_B_Lettsome_Updated_Scenery_Project" folder into where your Community folder is located, then start the sim and go to TUPJ Terrance B. Lettsome International. That's it!
Each time I upload an updated version here, just replace the same "Terrance_B_Lettsome_Updated_Scenery_Project" folder in your Community folder to update the scenery. Make back ups to the old folders if necessary.
DETAILED UPDATED FEATURES TO DEFAULT SCENERY (V1.0) - TUPJ:
- - Started from scratch and deleted everything except the default terminal building and a few surrounding buildings.
- - Stratigically placed very specific scenery objects from the sim library around the default building to try match the design structure IRL.
- - Made some corrections to the surrounding terrain and elevation of the Airport, especially at the end of Runway 07 which was challening to get right. By default, that area was completly flat.
- - Added runway/lights, PAPI lights, aprons, taxi lights [despite the fact that by default they were already there, editing the elevation made them dissapear, so I had to replace them again :\ ], taxi ways, taxiway signs, ''wear n' tear'' textures, ground markings and different painted color lines exactly like IRL.
- - Edited airport taxiway data so ATC properly directs you to and from your parking location [Something I just learned to do. Some parking location names may not be too accurate due to editor limitations but are very close to real life]
- - Corrected location of Windsocks
- - Added a light above the Windsocks
- -Added a small circular stone structure design around the base of each windsock like IRL
- - Added the control tower with a beacon light and added two small red lights on top the antennas. [The stucture of the tower is different IRL]
- -Added red beacon lights on top each airport light.
- - Added a small building next to the control tower with a small parking lot and a center peice design with cars etc.
- - Added Airport lights around the airport.
- - Added extra lighting under the Airport terminal roofing that was added. Also added lighting to any surrounding buildings in the area including the firestation building which I replaced with a generic building. Also lighting on a few boats.
- - Added static aircraft\service vehicles with some animated Marshalls\Workers surrounding them.
- - Randomly placed Marshalls/Workers and other animated people around the Airport in general.
- - Added barbwire fencing around entire Airport. Also added additional fencing in certain areas within the airport.
- - Added many vehicles in the area including the main parking lot [work in progress], and 3 other parking lots in the area. Also added some animated vehicles on the road.
- - Added and placed a lot of stones to simulate the stone structure design in front of Runway 25 like IRL.
- - corrected and added a few beach sand areas surrounding the airport.
- - Added many more trees/plants/grass, auto-gen trees in general areas close to and surrounding the Airport.
- -Added some large underground pipes that simulate the drainage system under the airport. [Have to look real closely to see these hidden in the some of the bushes along side some of the taxiways and the runway]
- - Added MANY boats, yachts and ferries in the surrounding area like IRL. [Possible framerate drop for low-end PC users. Let me know if it affects anyone]
- - Added small white poles to replicate the yachts' sails. [let me know if you can't see these]
- - Added 2 animated flags where actual flags are supposed to be behind the concrete wall sign stucture.
- - Added a concrete wall structure to replicate where the airport sign is located and added spot lights shining on it.
- - Added a small red and white barrier around each airport light like IRL
- - Added many other scattered scenery objects around the airport in general.
Thats all for now. More to come in every version update. Do enjoy this on going project which takes a great deal of time and effort. Feel free to leave any comments after you've flown around. Have fun flying and see you in the Sim world :)