The Palm Beach County Airpark Airport (A.K.A. the Lantana Airport) is located six miles south of West Palm Beach. It was originally built in the 1940s for civil defense against Axis submarines patrolling along the Florida coast and was one of the original bases of operation for the Civil Air Patrol, which is still operational from this base.
Today, it’s a popular field for flights to the Bahamas, the Caribbean, flight schools, and serves as an overflow for Palm Beach International Airport (KPBI).
This update is focused on making current and flight accurate version of the airport, which has gone though some significant changes in the past few years. While it’s not currently a towered airport, I put considerable effort into making sure MSFS’s AI should work.
- Added the 3 missing helicopter pads.
- Reduced tree heigh on approach to runways 10 and 4.
- Corrected taxi names to match what is in use at the airport. Thanks to Stellar Aviation for helping get the correct names! This data does not exist on any published charts.
- Updated taxiway signs to match the airport.
- Updated surpport lighting to approximate where it is located on the airport. I also added in some localized glow to simulate the normal light pollution in the area.
- Corrected the location of the beacon tower.
- Rebuilt apron textures to match the airport.
- Updated taxiway parking to reflect the recent changes at the airport.
- Added hangars to approximate the airport’s layout.
- Removed the existing windsocks and added the correct windsock location. Unfortunately, this reduces the windsocks from 3 to 1 but it is accurate to the airport. It's mostly in the center so I find it easy to find.
- Removed excess tire marks from the runways since the airplane traffic at this airport comprises smaller airplanes.
- Updated all PAPI lights to the correct type (2 light PAPI), location, glide path, and size.
- 10/28 4.0 degrees
- 16/34 3.5 degrees
- 4/22 3.0 degrees
- Fixed trees along Lantana rd. and Congress ave. near the airport.
- Fixed building/tree photogrametry mess in the shopping centers, businesses, park, campgrounds, and neighboroods on approach to all the runways.
- Uncovered missing islands in Lake Osborn to the east of the airport.
- Added apron dirt/stains to match patters at the airport.
- Updated a local VFR landmark, the Boynton Beach water tower, with a similar model included in the sim’s base scenery.
- Cleaned up satellite ground artifacts.
- No taxi lights or signs on the asphalt!
- Reconstructed the airport entrance.
- Added new car parking lot along the south perimeter.
All scenery objects are part of the base sim. So, at this time there are no custom hangars or buildings.
I reccomend using this water fix, I paid special attention to areas surrounding this airport and others in Palm Beach County. https://flightsim.to/file/44297/water-fix-palm-beach-county-florida
I would greatly appreciate feedback from anyone familiar with this airport or that finds any bugs/issues so that they may be corrected!