There are two reasons why you may be facing slow downloads. One reason can be your own internet connection and the other can be our network. Depending on the current network load of our infrastructure, the downloads may be somewhat slower at times, especially at peak times on weekends - for example on Sundays - and especially in the evenings (UTC). In such a case, we advise you to simply wait a few minutes and restart the download.
In general, a speed between 1 MB/s and 8 MB/s is considered normal. However, if you are downloading at busy times on the weekend, speeds of max. 1 MB/s or even less may be normal from time to time! Remember that you share the bandwidth with hundreds of other users at the same time and therefore our server throttles accordingly so that no one uses too much bandwidth. By the way, it is recommended to download only one file at a time and to refrain from parallel downloads! As far as possible, we recommend moving large file downloads outside of peak hours.
Slow Downloads can also be caused by the fact that your connection is used by you or other persons in your household for streaming (e.g. Netflix, Spotify, Amazon Prime Video), playing mulitplayer games or downloading contents from other websites or downloading updates from Steam or any other software. In order to get the maximum speed results, you should make sure that you have stopped other parallel downloads or streams. For example, if another person in your household is streaming a Netflix series with the same Internet connection, this can have a significant impact on your download speed.
Step 1 - Check your own download speed
- First of all, the main reason for slow downloads may be your internet connection. Therefore, make sure that you have good speeds in general.
- Go to speedtest.googlefiber.net and / or speedtest.net to check your own download speed.
- Anything under 10 Mbit/s (Mbps) Download is considered to be slow. Keep in mind, Mbit/s (Mbps) is not the same as MB/s. For example, 10 Mbit/s (Mbps) is equal to just 1.25 Megabyte per second.
- Please troubleshoot your connection if your download speeds are slow in general.
Step 2 - Check your connection to our server(s)
- In theory, our servers are capable of hundreds of Mbit/s (Mbps). But you can not expect to download faster than your internet connection allows - see step 1.
- Once you know how much download speed you can expect from your internet connection, go to our server speedtest for server 1 and our server speedtest for server 2.
- Start the test. You should roughly see about the same Mbit/s (Mbps) speed as tested before on step 1. However, deviations of up to 10-20 Mbit/s (Mbps) are normal.
Step 3 - Escalate to support if applicable
- As stated before, it may be only a temporary issue. Therefore, please wait a few hours before downloading and then test again. Especially on evenings, Saturdays and Sundays there might be temporary network overloads.
- If the issue persists, please contact us with the results of all three speedtests, your country of residence and testing time in UTC, and we will try to help you.
Why can't I download at unlimited speed, for example 1000 MB per sec?
Please note that Flightsim.to is a completely free service based on voluntary work of a hand-full flight simulation enthusiasts - we are neither a large-scaled company nor are investors behind our project, thus we are not aiming nor capable of providing the world's best download speeds. Other similiar services such as ours limit and cap the download speed from 1 MB / s upwards in order to be able to control their costs and charge for a monthly subscription - that's something we don't want to do (right now), that's why we ask for your understanding of this Fair Use and Bandwidth Sharing policy. With us, you can theoretically hit the 1 Gbit/s without paying anything, if our servers are not busy. We do our best to keep the download speeds within an acceptable range. However, if you consider that several hundred users from all over the world are downloading files at the same time (for free), we ask you to understand that this unlimited bandwidth is not always available.