In 1977 the NASA acquired a beautiful Boeing 747-100 and turned it into a SCA: Shuttle Carrier Aircraft. In 1990 they did that again with another 747-100. And that's it. That's all. That's how rare this aircraft is. And if you wonder, in 2012 they said: "Let's stop the Space Shuttle program and keep these Boeing on the ground from now on".
- This add-on is NOT DRAG AND DROP COMPATIBLE: Once downloaded, you'll have to unzip the content at a location of your choice, then read the README txt file before starting the installer: 747-SCA_Installer.bat -- That said, the process is easy and you shouldn't encounter any issue.
- After each update of the base 747-8i by Microsoft/Asobo/Working Title, please, re-run the installer to regenerate a fresh and updated version of the 747 SCA.
- I made a short video showcasing the installation/update process: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v75Q0SxyI_M
You might be interested into watching my (long) presentation video of this aircraft: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxDDQT6iuZg But fear not, I've put chapters in the description. In this 39 minutes video I guide you through:
- cold and dark start,
- explain all the subtleties of the orbiter detach console,
- how the automatic weight adjuster works (the video has been made before I added the tablet which simplifies this process a lot!),
- FMC setup,
- engine startup, taxi,
- take off a short flight with VNAV climb and descent,
- of course, the separation with the Endeavour in the way,
- the ILS approach (that I handle badly, but... anyway),
- and a correct landing, even if I've done better.
Now. What do you get with this MOD?
- The Endeavour Shuttle Orbiter attached to your plane
I spent "a few" hours modeling and texturing this non-flyable asset. It is not perfectly accurate, but it's not too bad either (and it will look less dark/dirty than on the screenshots). And you can also "dump it" midair if you want to maximize your landing chances ;)
- The most modern livery of the 747 SCA
Very simple, nothing fancy. No mirroring issue on the tail's logos. There are some flaws here and there, but the UVs on the base 747 are really messy.
- Additional vertical tail ailerons
These are specific to the SCA. This mod may be based on a 747-8i frame instead of a 747-100, but at least I was able to add these parts!
- Tuned engines: they drink more fuel
I didn't make the engines less or more powerful, but I made them a bit more thirsty. That's bad for the planet. You should be ashamed ;)
- No more passengers, please!
I removed all the payloads from the various passengers classes. Now, there is only the pilot, the co-pilot and the orbiter (which weight is located at the correct spot, above the plane).
- Detach console
A retro looking, big and bulky, technical box with a few leds, knobs and switches that will allow you to check the conditions under which you can set the Shuttle Orbiter free!
- Shuttle Payload Manager EFB (tablet)
A modern tablet with which you can really easily select your payload configuration (no need to go in MSFS payload menu which doesn't show real values anyway)!
- Uses B7847-8i by Working Title
Since version 2.0 of this add-on, it no longer uses Salty Simulations 747 as a base aircraft, but the brand new one by Asobo/Working Title. Easy to install and to keep updated after each update from Asobo/WT.
"Boeing 747 Shuttle Carrier Aircraft (SCA)" was created under Microsoft's "Game Content Usage Rules" using assets from Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 and is not endorsed by or affiliated with Microsoft, Boeing, the NASA or anyone else.
Microsoft's Rules: https://www.xbox.com/en-US/developers/rules