Attached activity is about landing challenge of Gimhae VOR DME 18R approach, one of the most challenging and dangerous approach for airliners.
Gimhae airport is located near Busan, the second largest city in Korea.
The airport has two parallel runway 18R/36L, 18L/36R and ILS approach is only available for north bound approach due to mountainous terrains starts from just 3 nm north of the edge of both RWY 18R and RWY 18L.
When winds are flowing from south, every airplane has to follow VOR DME approach to RWY 18R which requires complex circling maneuver.
Check out the attached chart about this approach and see how it look like.
Here are some simple procedure for a clue
- Start from 4000 feet and maintain HDG 50~53 and start descending VS about -700 fpm while avoiding a mountain before the airport.
- Upon reaching 2700 feet, drop landing gears and set flaps 3
- Enter downwind just before reaching the river along the runways
- Start turning base at the end of north edge of runway while avoiding "Namhae Express way" just before moutain. At this moment 1000ft is reached
- Immediately turn to final and turn off AUTO when you see the runway at about 400 feet from ground and level off
- Try to avoid incursion to RWY 18L and touch down to RWY 18R.
Below video is a cockpit view of the exact same approach in a real world airliner.
To install this activity, extract the file then copy the folder and place into Community folder for MSFS2020.