SAVAGE CARBON - STOL REALISM MOD
A more powerful, stronger and meaner Savage Cub, retrofitted to be a true bush machine.
The Savage Carbon is a custom backcountry aircraft built to be a versatile high performance stick and rudder bush machine. She excels at STOL yet flies with XCubs.
She’s a load of fun. She’s also a fully featured and well-tested study level bush bird.
MORE COOL AIRCRAFT
GOT GRAVEL DISCORD SERVER
Join a vibrant community of fun-loving aviators (5000+ members)
WHAT'S IN THE BOX
The Full Backcountry Experience
Bush machines are extreme machines, often pushed to the edge of their performance envelopes. Always wanted to fly one? Get the Savage Carbon for the most authentic STOL experience possible...short of flying the real thing.
The STOL stuff
- 29" Alaskan Bushwheels.
- 165HP Edge Performance engine.
- Water skiing.
- 82" Whirlwind GA-200L-STOL propeller.
- Wider wheelbase
- King Shock absorbers and upgraded suspension.
- Powerful disc brakes.
- Execute the Knife Edge aerobatic move.
- A 3rd monster flap (60 degrees!) so you can fly slower approaches, with higher sink rates, giving you 15ft landing bragging rights.
- Flaps move faster so you can pump them for short take offs and retract them at touchdown for maximum braking power.
- Flaperons...using 25% aileron as flaps
- Ground handling is what you would expect from a purpose-built backcountry aircraft: Lift your tail, propwash left and right, brake on a dime.
- Vortex Generators on wing and tail are accurately simulated, delaying stalls and enabling those slow STOL approaches.
Other features (non exhaustive)
- Full CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics)
- 20 Custom Liveries.
- Flight model parameters like parasite drag, induced drag, flap drag and lift, moment of inertia along all axis, P-factor, propwash, torque, weather vaning, gyroscopic precession and more have been tuned to recreate that unique bush plane thrill.
- Modern Prop Physics and Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD)
- 100% Custom lights with powerful landing light.
- Enhanced Night VFR lights inside the cockpit.
- Rearward facing landing light (“Torch” switch) for team leads so others can follow easily.
- Parking brakes added (previous choke lever).
- Cabin Heat defrosts windshield.
- The CG has been completely reworked by correctly positioning all simulated masses in 3D space, resulting in a stable and natural feeling aircraft.
BE A SUPPORTER
This Savage Cub to Savage Carbon conversion mod is free and always will be, but if you enjoy it and feel you want to contribute towards this ongoing project it will always be appreciated.
- First of all make sure the default MSFS Savage Cub is installed, this mod depends on it
- Delete older versions of the Savage Carbon mod, if any
- Extract the ZIP file
- Drag the folder named gotgravel-savage-carbon directly into the Community folder
- Restart the sim
- You'll find the Savage Carbon in your hangar all the way to the right near the default MSFS Savage Cub.
If done correctly, your folder structure should look like this:
/Community /gotgravel-savage-carbon /RTC /SimObjects /Official
How to find the Community folder?
- If you changed the default location of packages, it’s the simplest because you should find a Community sub folder in it.
- For Steam, it should be located in C:\Users\[Computer Name]\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightDashboard_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\Community
- For Windows Store C:\Users\[Computer Name]\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\Community
I have multiple threads on various flight sim forums and websites (including this one) and it is not possible for me to respond to queries on all of them.
Support is therefor exclusively provided from the Got Gravel Discord Server (https://discord.gg/4f3j4YgNm4) through the "Got Support" channel inside the "Got Friends" category.
The “Torch” is a unique rearward facing landing light, similar to what was installed on Draco. When turned on (there is a switch in the cockpit), it will be easy for others to spot you from behind. Great if you are a team lead for a group flight!
SWAP YOUR PANEL
Choose your panel! You will find 5 panels to choose from in the swap-your-panel folder.
SWAP YOUR AIRSPEED INDICATOR
Choose your ASI face to be white or black! Select them from the swap-your-asi folder.
The Savage has no autopilot installed (you will find none in the cockpit), but for your convenience I did tune and test the configuration for a relaxed experience. However, it is disabled by default.
To enable, follow the simple instructions below. You will also need to setup and use your own keybinds for autopilot on / off state, altitude hold and heading hold if you haven't done so yet.
- Go to your community folder
- Go to gotgravel-savage-carbon / SimObjects / Airplanes / Asobo_Savage_Carbon
- Open the file engines.cfg in a text editor
- Go to the last line and change the 1 to 0 (DisableAutopilotControls = 0)
- Restart sim if it was running
- The Carbon Savage is an ongoing project by Got Gravel.
- Flight testing by experienced real-life pilots avaricooper and roketJsquerl.