SAVAGE CARBON - STOL REALISM MOD
A more powerful, stronger and meaner Savage Cub, retrofitted to be a true bush machine.
The Savage Carbon is a custom backcountry aircraft built to be a versatile high performance stick and rudder bush machine. She excels at STOL yet flies with XCubs.
She’s a load of fun. She’s also a fully featured and well-tested study level bush bird.
GOT GRAVEL DISCORD SERVER
The Place for Bush Pilots!
Join our ever-growing family of backcountry aviators:
- Hangout and chit-chat
- Fly Events
- Partake in Expeditions
- Join STOL Competitions
- Find a wingman
- Technical Support
- Livery Design
EXPEDITION ALASKA 2021
Embark on the adventure of a lifetime that will see you and like-minded pilots journey from the north of the United States through British Colombia and on to the wilderness of Alaska. During this epic journey we will encounter some of the most amazing scenery our planet has to offer.
This event covers over 5,500 statute miles and will take about 6 months to complete.
The Expedition has started on Saturday January 16. Head over to the Got Gravel Discord Server for additional details and registration.
There will be four flight groups:
- Group Bald Eagle: Saturday @ 1300z
- Group Golden Eagle: Saturday @ 1600z
- Group Hawk: Sunday @ 0200z
- Group Osprey: Wednesday @ 0400z
WHAT'S IN THE BOX
The Full Backcountry Experience
Bush machines are extreme machines, often pushed to the edge of their performance envelopes. Always wanted to fly one? Get the Savage Carbon for the most authentic STOL experience possible...short of flying the real thing.
The STOL stuff
- 29" Alaskan Bushwheels.
- 165HP Edge Performance engine.
- Water skiing.
- 82" Whirlwind GA-200L-STOL propeller.
- Wider wheelbase
- King Shock absorbers and upgraded suspension.
- Powerful disc brakes.
- A 3rd monster flap (60 degrees!) so you can fly slower approaches, with higher sink rates, giving you 15ft landing bragging rights.
- Flaps move faster so you can pump them for short take offs and retract them at touchdown for maximum braking power.
- Flaperons...using 20% aileron as flaps
- Ground handling is what you would expect from a purpose-built backcountry aircraft: Lift your tail, propwash left and right, brake on a dime.
- Vortex Generators on wing and tail are accurately simulated, delaying stalls and enabling those slow STOL approaches.
Other features (non exhaustive)
- 20 Custom Liveries.
- Flight model parameters like parasite drag, induced drag, flap drag and lift, moment of inertia along all axis, P-factor, propwash, torque, weather vaning, gyroscopic precession and more have been tuned to recreate that unique bush plane thrill.
- 100% Custom lights with powerful landing light.
- Enhanced Night VFR lights inside the cockpit.
- Rearward facing landing light (“Torch” switch) for team leads so others can follow easily.
- Parking brakes added (previous choke lever).
- Cabin Heat defrosts windshield.
- The CG has been completely reworked by correctly positioning all simulated masses in 3D space, resulting in a stable and natural feeling aircraft.
It took well over 200 hours of research and test flights to tune all aspects of the model. Performance is frequently evaluated by 2 seasoned pilots with experience in similar planes.
BE A SUPPORTER
This Savage Cub to Savage Carbon conversion mod is free and always will be, but if you enjoy it and feel you want to contribute towards this ongoing project it will always be appreciated.
- First of all make sure the default MSFS Savage Cub is installed, this mod depends on it
- Delete older versions of the Savage Carbon mod, if any
- Extract the ZIP file
- Drag the folder named gotgravel-savage-carbon directly into the Community folder
- Restart the sim
- You'll find the Savage Carbon in your hangar all the way to the right near the default MSFS Savage Cub.
/Community /gotgravel-savage-carbon /RTC /SimObjects /Official
How to find the Community folder?
- If you changed the default location of packages, it’s the simplest because you should find a Community sub folder in it.
- For Steam, it should be located in C:\Users\[Computer Name]\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightDashboard_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\Community
- For Windows Store C:\Users\[Computer Name]\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\Community
Facing a technical issue? Head over to the Got Gravel Discord Server and check out the support-faq and support-discussion channels: https://discord.gg/4f3j4YgNm4
Check out this interview with Macflyer and Chris in "The Boarding Area". If you got some time just play this podcast in the background, I think you'll find it interesting.
We're discussing the history of the Savage Carbon and Grravel, their future, the realism, how they came to be, MSFS and bushing, and in general everything else that's related to all of this including Expedition Alaska of course!
Enjoy the cast, and give these guys an encouraging YT Like, I think they're doing a fantastic job for the simming world at large!
The “Torch” is a unique rearward facing landing light, similar to what was installed on Draco. When turned on (there is a switch in the cockpit), it will be easy for others to spot you from behind. Great if you are a team lead for a group flight!
The Savage has no autopilot installed (you will find none in the cockpit), but for your convenience I did tune and test the configuration for a relaxed experience. However, it is disabled by default.
To enable, follow the simple instructions below. You will also need to setup and use your own keybinds for autopilot on / off state, altitude hold and heading hold if you haven't done so yet.
- Go to your community folder
- Go to gotgravel-savage-carbon / SimObjects / Airplanes / Asobo_Savage_Carbon
- Open the file engines.cfg in a text editor
- Go to the last line and change the 1 to 0 (DisableAutopilotControls = 0)
- Restart sim if it was running