Cessna 208 B Grand Caravan EX, modified to remove the pod!
Version 1.21 for Sim Update 5
An OPTIONAL download is now available with lightened prop textures. Place these in:
Community\Cessna 208 B Grand Caravan EX - No Pod - Parorng\SimObjects\Airplanes\parorng_C208-nopod\TEXTURE
You'll need to delete any old installation in Community and install BOTH downloads to use these prop textures. If you have 1.2 already, you'll only need the prop textures.
I've finally managed to get the modified default livery working again (but having issues with SU5 and the SDK - and I'm in the process of moving countries) - expect that to come with v1.3!
The mighty Caravan is in use around the world, and often the ones I see do not have the pod. This project started for me as a way to get my feet wet (hint hint) in 3d modelling and start creating some things for myself. Removing and rebuilding the floor of this aircraft took a lot of work! I have extended the nosewheel cowl to match the real aircraft, and remapped all textures to work with the changes.
This Asobo model has been completely reworked.
- All animations have been redone (and adjusted in some cases)
- Pod removed
- Nosewheel cowl extended
- Textures remapped
- Registration moved to the most common area from what I have seen, with the regstration italics accurately added. 3 registration locations are now possible. Run the Variants script to choose which you like!
- The flight model is based on @Carbonprop's excellent performance mod, and edited to reflect the no-pod.
- New rivets to better show off your amazing liveries! Feel free to use this on the Asobo caravan too, just remmeber to backup any original 'Ribbon' texture file (I rename them .org normally)
- Check the changelog to see latest changes!
- The frost textures aren't playing nice just yet, so they're omitted. Also the windscreen frost isn't active currently.
- The Asobo modelled livery includes the pod (modelled), so for now I have removed the entire modelled livery.
- The Main gear struts and brakes for some reason don't have textures again (they're black!) They are good in Blender and the UV maps are aligned so I have no idea why. If anyone knows, send me a PM!
- Doors don't open still. I'll need to rework the entire cabin to allow that - currently way above my abilities and time constraints, but I'll keep at it. I'd love a roller door one day...
The livery converter is now packaged
Please read the converter documentation for details. No adjustments should be needed to current liveries to get them working. There is a slight issue with a few existing liveries on the new the nosewheel cowl extension (as the UV now covers a little more room). I'll consider rearranging the UVs for this part on update v1.2.
Registration Location Option:
v1.2 includes THREE different locations available for the registration. Currently it will affect all liveries.
Under 'Variants' run the batch file to change your variant. You can also do this manually if you'd prefer.
Again, currently this will affect all aircraft. It is possible to change them around at any time. If the sim is running when you change it, to take effect, you'll need to resync your aircraft (via the New Project - Aircraft Editor), restart/reload the flight, or restart the entire sim.
It IS possible to have this set differently per livery. The designer, or yourself, will need to add the correct .gltf and .bin models to the livery and ensure they're referenced correctly in the layout.json (If you need any guidance, drop me a message here or on my discord below!)
v1.2 includes the option to see your copilot! Run the Variants batch file to choose that option. By default it is on.
I played with adding a passenger as well, but they like their leg room and put their feet through the seat in front. So for now, no passengers.
As always, please place the 'Cessna 208 B Grand Caravan EX - No Pod - Parorng' folder into your community folder. I recommend removing the old one completely before doing this.
Working Title Instrumentation: ***IMPORTANT***
If you are using the WorkingTitle G1000/GX MOD you must copy and overwrite the CommonPFD_MFD.js file from the WTPATCH directory to the following location in BOTH the G1000 and GX folders.
If you neglect to do this the aircraft annunciator system will NOT work.
REMEMBER the WT G1000 mod is not compatible with the G1000NXi in the store, so choose one and enjoy!
The float version is coming along nicely, but I've had to take some personal time as I'm moving countries for a bit to be with my family. I haven't seen them for 16 months now... A tropical beach should give me some motivation however!
I'd also love to do a skydiving and cargo version, as well as one with surveying equipment. I'd prefer to have a redone cabin for this, with all the seats removed. All I need is time, and motivation!
If you want to contact me, message me on flightsim.to, the MSFS forums, or at my discord. Grab your invite here:
Hope you Enjoy it!
As always, if you like what you see and want to help out with development of this and other projects, feel free to donate!