This is my first airport upgrade for MSFS. KMYF is a public airport six miles north of downtown San Diego. The airport has three runways and lot of ramps and hangars. It's one of the busiest airports in the U.S. for small aircraft and has a number of flying clubs, flight schools, plus business turboprops and jets based there. You also find San Diego Fire Department and the famous King Schools.
The default Montgomery Field KMYF airport is great... but requires improvement: most taxiways and signs are inaccurate, some taxi blue lights obstruct movements, buildings are missing, there are windsocks everywhere... etc. Here's my first updated airport.
By Vincent Bazillio https://20-100-video.blogspot.com/
Thanks so much to all the simmers who appreciate and supports our passion and encourage me to make the scenery. If you liked it, please write a comment! Features List
- New taxiway names. C, A, H, G1, M, E are misplaced or non-existent in the stock MSFS version. They are updated in this scenery and are similar the official airport ground chart (for example via Airnav: https://www.airnav.com/airport/KMYF)
- New taxiway signs : all signs have been reviewed and updated (see Caution)
- A single windsock at the right place.
Extra bonus (it wasn't the initial project)
- Missing buildings have been added according to the Bing Map photorealistic texture
- The underlying apron object covering most of the airport Bing texture is resized and now reveals iconic locations: business area with FSDO and Marv's Golden, Casa Machado, west side of airport (to be continued), Gibbs FBO and more to come if you enjoy this first step.
- (New) A lot more of living and small objects to greatly enhance immersion
- (New) CrownAir FBO
- (New) "Executive AirPark" previously known as Gibbs Flying service
- (New) Coast Air Center FBO on the west side of the field. I have very limited info on this new area. More picture/info are welcome if you have some!
- (New) Big TAXI letters on taxiway Hotel
- (New) Gibbs information sign on taxiway Juliet
- (New) Fences added to close the airport
If you want a taste of Montgomery (KMYF) in real, you can check my Youtube channel with a lot of Farwest flying trip videos but also this great FAA Runway Safety episode.
How to install? Unzip the file into your Community folder. Once installed go to KMYF as usual, the scenery is overlayed over the existing default one. Caution It's my first airport. Don't expect high quality payware content. I'm totally new to the MSFS Scenery Editor mode. Feel free to comment and share any mistakes to improve this first work. I'm a member of a flying club at Montgomery Field (Plus One Flyers) but I leave in France. I fly at San Diego several times per year but my real experience of certain areas is null or very limited. For example, I never went (in real) in the west side at LIMA or GOLF. I have a lot of video materials (check my Youtube channel) but I lack of shots at location... I never went. If you have pictures usefull to update this scenery, feel free to contact me. Limitations This airport's update contains only stock objects. No handmade texture or 3D objects have been designed, because It's far beyond my design skill ;) . They give a feeling of "it looks like what we have in real". The Bing Map ground photorealist texture is not up to date. For example some ground markings, the old Crown Air building, G1 taxiway are wrong compare to the reality. Thus, this scenery is a mix between the date of the Bing texture and today's real world.
After updating all the taxiways, which were the main initial objectve, I started to play with the MSFS scenery editor and enhanced other aeras. It's just a first try and play as my first scenery. Fences are not accuratly positioned. More to come if simmers are pleased with this first result! Let me know in the comment! Known issues
- Some red marked hold shorts do not appeared or are wider than in real. It's a SDK limitation.
- Some blue lights have been totally removed to clear the taxiway path. Unfortunately I didn't succeed in putting some at the right place. SDK limitation?
- There's a lot of cars and trucks (even buses) moving around. I don't know yet how to limit/remove them in the scenery. Any idea?
Tools used: ADE Beta 12 for MSFS to generate the initial .xml project file, then everything is generated with the included MSFS SDK editor. Thank you to Antoine D., Manuel G. and Patrick M. for their Beta tests. And Virginie S. for the local pictures!